Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Blog and Life Update

I suck at keeping this blog updated lately.  So much has happened, especially for it being an "off season".  I have pretty much done next to nothing other than occasional runs and weight training here and there.  Until this week, I hadn't been on my bike or in a pool since my last race!  That's one sign you know you are a swim coach...when you are at the pool every day and haven't swam on your own in months!

Coaching is going well.  I love my kids.  I love coaching, almost all of it anyway.  The management part of it can suck and be overwhelming, but I am getting the hang of it.  I seriously work with the most talented, amazing kids on the planet in a sport I love, so how could I not love it!  They challenge and inspire me.  I couldn't be happier with the coaching aspect of my job!  I have learned a lot more about the sport as well in this process, which only makes me a better swimmer, I hope!

I applied for a coaching scholarship about a month ago with Ben Cagle, who is with Beyond Endurance Coaching.  Every year he picks one athlete to give a coaching scholarship to (one year free coaching).  I applied last year and didn't get it.  I got the email saying he was taking entries for this year as well and figured it couldn't hurt to apply again.  Well, what do you know, I actually got it!  I couldn't be more excited about this!  We have had several email exchanges, as well as a FaceTime call, and I think we are on the same page. I like his approach to training, and I think I am going to learn a lot from him.

The training plan started this week, and it feels so good to be back on a routine!  I forgot how much I love training, and it really helps me to be a nicer person :)  I just lack the motivation to stick with it on my own, and I also spend so much time analyzing, planning, and second guessing my training, that sometimes I just give up and don't train like I should.  I have found that this week it is so nice to just open Training Peaks and do what Ben has in there for me.  I am so excited to just do the execution part of the training!

Getting back on my bike last night was good.  Though with my extended break from biking I have to build up my butt acclimation to the saddle.  Even being on the trainer wasn't bad!  I was also happy to spend an hour on the bike and have ZERO shoulder issues.  Hopefully this continues because my shoulder/neck has been a major pain this fall.

I also got back in the pool this morning.  It felt good.  The set looked hard initially given the lack of swimming I have done lately, but it wasn't that bad.  Challenging...yes.  Impossible...nope.  I really enjoyed it!

It is fun to be excited again after an extended break.  I think that following IMTX, though I was on a high from completing such a huge thing, I was also burned out.  I was stupid to plan as many races as I did following IMTX.  Training became something I had to do, not something I wanted to do.  Then coaching started up this fall, and it slipped to the side like many things do.  It's just glad to be back.  I've got a lot of work to do to get where I want to be, but I am excited to be back on board.

In the meantime, happy training and racing all!

No comments:

Post a Comment