Thursday, April 16, 2015

Traveling and Training!

I went to a conference for swim coaches in Seattle this past weekend.  I had to still train seeing as how I am in my peak training month for IMTX, but I managed to get it in.  I had to move something around with my plan, but I don't think any of the changes will impact me negatively.  I had to switch when my rest week would have been since I knew I wouldn't be able to get in long bike or run while in Seattle, so I switched them out for this week instead, which would have been my rest week.

I also realized that I wouldn't be able to bike at all, given I wasn't taking my bike nor would I have access to one while there.

I was thrilled to see the hotel had a gorgeous 25 meter pool.  I was able to get my swim training in with no problem.  I had the entire pool to myself when I was there at 5 am! (Yes, I know it is pretty pathetic that while on vacation I was up that early, but dang internal clock, I couldn't help it!)



The highlight of my training and of my trip was my Friday morning run.  I had mapped it out before hand on Mapmyrun, and had no idea of the area, other than it would give me the distance I was wanting and I could tell that it ran along Lake Washington.  It turned out to be awesome!  It started at my hotel in downtown Bellevue, but within the first mile it turned off into a super swanky and beautiful neighborhood along the lake.  It was cool and sunny out and just perfect!  I loved running in this quiet and pretty neighborhood!  I obviously didn't pay any attention to the elevation chart when I was mapping it because there were some brutal hills!  I made myself run them no matter how slow, and it was actually a fun challenge!  I can't say enough how much I enjoyed this run.  I love exploring new areas on foot and with running, and this was perfect for that.



I had several "you know you are training for an Ironman when..." moments on this trip.  Like the fact that I got up at 5 every morning to train.  Or the fact that I took just as much, if not more, training clothes than regular clothes, or that I was also asleep most nights by 9 because I was so tired.  Yep, can't get away from these things!

I was proud of myself for sticking to my training while I was gone.  I usually pack training clothes when I travel, but don't get around to it.  Maybe it is because I was sufficiently scared of what lies ahead of me that I didn't skip, but it turned out well.

In the meantime, Happy Racing and training all!

No comments:

Post a Comment