Wednesday, April 9, 2014

It's Race Week Again!

I have several races close together in the months March, April and May, so this is another race week as this weekend I head south to Las Vegas to do BBSC's Rage Triathlon at Lake Mead.  I haven't raced with BBSC before, but I have heard nothing but good things.  I signed up for Rage as a good dress rehearsal for IM StG 70.3 just three weeks after.  I wanted to be able to get into open water prior to StG, and I also wanted to tri out a new tri kit, and also fine tune some nutrition.  I will be doing the Olympic distance at this race. they also offer a sprint and a 70.3. It really is a B race for me, as it is a prep/training day for StG, as mentioned before.

Things training wise have been good and bad.  Bad, in that I haven't hit all my work outs due to a bit of a stomach bug the past few days.  The bad cramping and GI issues would leave me in some compromising positions to try to bike or run, to say the least, I will leave it at that.  However, I have hit the key work outs, meaning my long runs and rides and those are going well!

My last long ride I headed out to Antelope Island and decided to try every climb out there.  There aren't any that are particularly long, but they are short and steep, one even reaching 24% grade.  Needless to say I didn't get all the way up that, but I was able to get much further up it than I could last year.  The other climbs I was able to do much easier (and faster according to my Strava data) than I could remember doing them last year!  I love seeing progress like that and it is a confidence boost as I head into StG where, from what I hear, it is all about the HILLS!

My last long run was 10 miles.  It seriously was the easiest 10 miles ever!  I finished feeling great, like I could easily continue, and I was hardly sore at all!  It also was a boost to know I am back to where I can knock out 10 miles with no problem!  Yeah for seeing progress!

Rage will be very similar conditions to StG, from the weather, and the course.  I am anxious to see how it goes.  I will be driving down on Friday morning with friends and that is always fun as well.  Race report will follow!

In the mean time, Happy training/racing all!

No comments:

Post a Comment