Monday, April 22, 2013

Get over it!



Since my race on Saturday, I have realized that there are always lessons that we are learning as runners and athletes.  I think that Saturday I learned a few, and I am having to learn the latest...and that is to GET OVER IT!

Specifically, I have to realize that not every race is going to be a big PR or show big progress.  Even though I know in my head that I did the best that I could do on Saturday under the rough conditions, I am disappointed that I didn't do better.  I wasn't really expecting a PR, but something closer  to that would have been nice.  I am having a hard time with the fact that I was almost 14 minutes slower than just two weeks ago.  I know that in the long run it doesn't matter.  I know that not every race is going to be great.  But still, I had hoped to do better.

I know that I was injured.  The conditions/course/my injury all were very different between the two races.  It wouldn't be comparing apples with apples to expect the same results. I know all of these things, but still, I had wanted to do better.

This season has seen a consistent stream of PR's for me.  That is awesome!  I should celebrate that!  It shows great progress on so many levels.  There are still races I am doing the remainder of this season (which in reality, is just starting) that I hope to show more progress.  But still, I can't help but feel disappointed.

I know that need to build my run base.  I have heard time and time again that whatever our weakest sport of the three tri sports, that is the area we need to focus on the most.  So, I am revamping my training schedule from now till school is out (when I was going to re-hash it anyway because of the increase in time) and add more runs, but do so smartly in a way to avoid injury, but also build a good base.  I am hoping that by this base building, I can start speed work come the end of May, which will hopefully help me in the St. George Marathon in the fall (fingers crossed I get in!).

So, there you have it.  I usually finish a race and in the days that follow I am on Cloud Nine.  Not so much after this one.  I had a good time, and no race is ever truly bad, but I can't help but feel somewhat disappointed.  On another note, however, my ankle is holding up beautifully!

Now to focus on getting over it, and moving on.  Happy Training All!

No comments:

Post a Comment